Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ruby Slippers and Other Collectible Shoes

     Today I thought I would make a post about surviving footwear.  I get the  biggest kick in finding shoes worn by stars from their Hollywood Glory days.  Undoubtedly the Ruby Slippers are the most recognizable and famous of all Hollywood shoes, but lets be honest, how many of us average collectors can afford an authentic pair?


     One of my unfulfilled dreams is to own an original pair of Ruby Slippers from the film...but as my pocket book doesn't stretch to millions and my collection grew, I couldn't wait any longer to have my own pair.  I decided to research the making of the shoes and recreate them using the same process MGM did back in 1938.  It took me three years but this is the end result.  Years later I look at my shoes and find some flaws, but I'm still thrilled at how they turned out.



     ....But as time went by I still wasn't satisfied.  I HAD to own something Judy Garland wore in one of her films!  Out of the blue, a pair of boots appeared at auction, and with dumb luck I was able to win them.

     As to which movie these shoes were used in...is a mystery.  The boots were originally sold at the David Weisz MGM auction, and described as being used in the film For Me and My Gal.  However, good friend and fellow Garland collector Michael Siewert believes the boots were used when Garland worked on Annie Get Your Gun. 

     The rubber soles on the boots are well worn.  It's my personal feeling that these shoes were worn by Garland in multiple films, including that of Harvey Girls. The handwriting within the boots matches the same handwriting used on other Garland pieces from the same film.  Who can really tell for sure though, I suppose that's half the fun in collecting!





No comments:

Post a Comment