Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Emerald City Costume


Today I'm thrilled to share another costume I've recently added to my collection.  The thrill of costume collecting, is sometimes a piece will come up to auction that has never been seen before by the public eye.  This Emerald City Vest is a perfect example of that.

For the past year I have been wanting to add another MGM 1939 Wizard of Oz piece to my collection.  When I stumbled across this vest, I knew I had to have it.  Although the piece is not instantly recognizable as being used within Oz, the fact had no consequence as I never collect to sell and achieve a return.  I collect to preserve American film history and enjoy the piece itself.



The vest is very well documented throughout the making of the film.  Seen above is an MGM still with the actor testing the vest.  Below you can see him testing the piece on set.


Most importantly, the vest survives on the final copy of the film.  Below you can see the actor running for his life as the Wicked Witch of the West writes her threatening message in the sky.  

The costume now rests safely within my collection.  The vest has been put on a safe ethafoam mannequin that will protect the fabrics and shape of the costume for many years.  Careful attention was paid to acquire museum conservation glass as to protect the dye from UV rays and dust.  A modern recreation of the Cowardly Lion's Emerald City Robe lies beneath.


1 comment: